GUIDING PRINCIPLE IN ASSESSING THE QUALITY OF A CONFESSIONAL STATEMENT
“In R V Sykes (1913) 8 CAR page 233, the principle guiding the court in assessing the quality of a confessional Statement whether retracted or not are;-
1. Is there anything outside the confession which shows that it may be true?
2. Is it corroborated?
3. Are the relevant statements of fact made in it true as far as can be tested?
4. Was the accused one who had the opportunity to commit the offence?
5. Is the confession possible?
6. Is it consistent with other facts which have been ascertained?
See also Onyene v. The State (2012) 15 NWLR (PL 1324) 586, Okoh v. The State (2009) All FWLR (PL 453) 1358, Alar ape v. The State (2001) 5 NWLR (PL 705) 79.” PER J. I. OKORO, J.S.C